Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Flamenco-the real stuff

The guide books tease and movies portray passionate groups of Spaniards singing and flamenco dancing at parties and neighborhood bars. It's true. It's awesome. It kicks karaoke's butt.
After the stage flamenco show, I discovered the intimate Mino Tauro down the street. Deciding that I needed more tapas, and perhaps a sangria or 3, I went in. Right at the front door there was a man playing a guitar, a woman singing and a couple of people dancing. Not realizing what I had discovered, I waited for them to finish and went in. What I thought was merely a musical hiccup was real flamenco right before me. The stuff with street cred. WOW!!! Passersby will hear a song and stop in the doorway to watch or join in the dancing that takes place in the middle of the aisle in front of the bar. People join in singing, old men lift their suit coats to be matadors for the song and stomp and clap along with the 30 somethings. Incredible! The woman next to me let me know I was seeing a very special musical guest. The guitarist/singer that had joined the original duo was a famous performer who had fallen into drugs and was working his way back after rehab. I stayed until around 1. It was a Thursday. I left WAY before anyone else.
Gimpy advice: sit in the back-ish so you don't have to worry about navigating the crowds to get to the aseo(toilet-not called bathroom in Spain). The lovely people of Sevilla are accommodating and friendly. Just DON'T interrupt the flamenco, and you'll be taken care of like family.

No comments:

Post a Comment