Monday, January 17, 2011

Tenacity in Queensland

The people of Australia and Queensland in particular are amazing. I am taking a brief detour from the chronological order of my travels to comment on what I've seen.
Currently, I am in Adelaide, South Australia. No where near the flooding. However, the news reports are on constantly. So, for anyone outside Aussie, I'd like to share a bit of the reports coming in.

"Please save my brother first" from a 4 year old who ended up getting swept away. "Mostly, I'm worried about my little sister" from a 7 year old. "Two men I didn't know saw us moving things out of the house and just walked in and helped us load the rest of the trailer. Then, the received a text of another family needing help and went to help them too". As repeated by a news reporter in Brisbane standing in ankle deep water with a half blackened cityscape behind her.

There have been NO reports of looting. No whining that insurance probably won't cover the damage. Homes across the state have opened up to strangers to provide clothing and shelter. Without expecting payment of any kind other than gratitude.
I am so amazed at the amount of money that has been raised for the victims from around the world.

I am inspired by the way the Aussies are looking out for others, doing the hard work to make a difference and not complaining. The news isn't badgering those who have lost loved ones, allowing them to grieve and not be sensationalized.

My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones. May peace be with you.

To the rest of Queensland and Australia:
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!.........Oi! Oi!Oi!
Good on Ya!

1 comment:

  1. Watching news post on TV and internet, one become awestruck watching what these people must be experiencing. Qudo's to those who stop performing random acts of kindness and doing the right thing rather than perhaps whats popular (fleeing). Our hearts go out to those suffering, help is on the way! May peace also be with you and wish you safe travels!

    ReplyDelete